8 March 2017 11:00
Technologies of the future: apply for business funding
Businesses can apply for a share of up to £15 million for innovation projects that will inspire the products and services of tomorrow.
Emerging technologies are newly developed sciences, where the best application and value is yet to be realised. Examples include quantum technologies, graphene and 2D materials, biofilms, energy harvesting and synthetic biology.
Enabling technologies can have wide applicability. Many industries could benefit from advances in areas such as machine learning, compound semiconductors, and earth observation. Examples of enabling technologies include digital, space and satellite, electronics, sensors and photonics, and robotics.
We expect to fund projects in 4 priority areas:
- emerging technologies
- enabling capabilities
- space applications
Proposals must demonstrate significant innovation; be applicable to more than one industry, sector or market; and improve growth, productivity or create export opportunities for at least 1 SME.
- the competition is open, and the deadline for registration is midday on 3 May 2017
- we expect projects to last between 6 months and 3 years and to range in size from £35,000 to £2 million
- projects must involve at least 1 SME and be led by a business or a research and technology organisation
- businesses could attract up to 70% of their project costs
- a briefing event for potential applicants will be held on 8 March 2017